Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Year's Day

We hauled our seedy selves out of bed and trained to the airport. As usual, Jim's Swiss Army knife caused him to be pulled out of the queue. I think I'd better confiscate it myself.

The supposedly 4 star accommodation in Florence was in a great location, the staff were fantastic and the breakfast turned out to be much better than is usual in Italy. But the rooms were dark, drab and depressing. Not to worry, we were out of there pronto and within 10 minutes I was into my first gelati and within half an hour I was in the duomo

The temperature was 12 degrees - 10 warmer than Frankfurt.
We found we could readily rehash the bit of Italian we'd picked up 2 years ago. We were in Italy! - something not anticipated when we left Melbourne 3 weeks ago.



Unlike the Germans the Italians blissfully disregard any rules that don't suit them, such as not taking photos in museums and galleries. The railing around the statue of Cellini at the Pont de Vecchio has dozens of love tokens saying 'Carlo e Rosa' and Guila e Guiseppe' padlocked to it, immediately above a sign saying that this is prohibited.

No comments: