Thursday, January 07, 2010

Holiday Reading
When Nancy suggested buying a copy of 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' for the library, I said,"Nah. That'll be corny and cringe-making". I hope Nancy ignored me. Meredith has a copy and I'm almost through it. Last night I woke up screaming and abusing the Germans. I knew nothing about the German occupation of the Channel Islands before and some gruesome stuff happens in the book. (Although it IS a bit twee and self consciously witty). Mere says it gave her a nightmare too.

And all this while I am receiving so much help and hospitality from German people. We have another raclette dinner on Saturday. Raclette is a New Year tradition and a very good one.

I haven't had a Frankfurt yet but my resistance is weakening

We went to the local Art Gallery today where they are showing a Botticelli exhibition with queues around the corner a la the recent Dali exhibition in Melbourne. We'd just seen the major Botticellis in Florence but lined up anyway. It was very interesting: mostly minor works but some of his very late pictures which were new to us and what better way is there to keep out of the cold?

No comments: