Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Florence Day 5 - Michelangelo's David

We were up early and at the Galleria d'Academia when it opened at 8:15. I looked at everything, resisting the urge to fly through the first galleries to get to Big Dave like people do in Melbourne Museum in quest of Pharlap.



In the afternoon we went to the Pitti Palace which was the first disappointing place I'd seen in Florence. The Medici had collected indiscriminantly, favouring quantity over quality and there were hundreds of paintings, good, bad and so-so in every room - overwhelming. The rain meant we couldn't go into the Boboli Gardens which was disappointing.



A few final purchases were made and then it was off to the airport and back 'home' to Frankfurt.

The next day I wanted a quiet domestic day while I processed the wonders of Florence. I made a cake for the first time in decades, a cheesecake as close as possible to the Margaret Fulton recipe which was a family favourite.

No comments: