Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Festive in Frankfurt

Tomorrow,Right Foot and I head off to Germany to spend Christmas with Mere, Matt and Mads. We have already had Christmas with Hil, Rob, the Unborn (aka Bisleri Fruitelle) and Rob's mum so this will be our second dip.

I've heard so much about the wonderful Christmas markets in Germany and at last get to see them. Mere says they are a bit cheesey but I'm up for a bit of kaese, kein problem. I've been making a late run on learning a bit of Deutsch. For some reason the phrase 'Wan es fruhstuck' (When is breakfast) has stuck in my brain. I'm not sure why it has such importance: I've had the same breakfast (vegemite toast and tea) for fifty years and don't expect that will change because of 5 weeks in Germany. I notice that they have not one but two words that mean dog's breakfast and another one for donkey's breakfast (I think I'd prefer that - there may be some vegetable matter involved). I'm a bit worried about the German food, all blood sausage and chocolate tortes. Hwmm. I wonder how you say bok choy in German? And tofu? And 'Lose the salt for Pete's sake!!'

No comments: